Salted Egg Yolk Prawns
The popular flavor of salted eggs coating freshly fried prawns!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Preheat oven, deshell and devein prawns
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Deshell and devein prawns. Leaving the head of the prawns intact and set aside.
Step 2 - Fry aromatics
In a pan on medium heat, add in shallots, ginger, sliced chili padi and minced garlic. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until shallots are translucent.If you cannot take spicy well, you can substitute chili padi with large red chili
Take it off the heat, add in 1 tsp paprika powder and mix well. Set aside to cool down.To add more aroma to the dish, fry up some curry leaves in oil and add the leaves to the salted egg sauce
Step 3 - Coat prawns
- To the prawns, add in fried aromatics, lime juice, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper and 1 tsp sugar. Mix it until prawns are thoroughly coated.
Step 4 - Fry salted egg yolk
- In a pan on medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry steamed salted egg yolks. With a spoon, mash the salted egg yolks and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 5 - Wrap prawns
- On a foil sheet, place a layer of banana leaf and place the prawns over the banana leaf. Pour the salted egg yolk mixture over the prawns and wrap it up like a parcel.
Step 6 - Grill prawns
- Place the wrapped prawns into the oven and grill for 10 to 15 minutes.
Plate and serve!
Unwrap the foil sheet and serve it with lime wedges and large red chili slices.