Sambar, also spelled sambhar or sambaar, is popular in South Indian and Sri Lankan Tamil cuisines. Here’s how to make this easy lentil and vegetable stew!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Boil lentils
- In a pot on medium heat, add drained lentils and 2 L water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 ½ hours.
Step 2 - Cook vegetable stew
- In a deep pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil. When hot, add dried chili, mustard seeds, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, 10 g turmeric powder and 15 g sambar powder.
- Stir-fry until evenly mixed.
- Add potato, carrot, pumpkin, shallots and minced garlic, then add 500 ml water.
- Stir well, then bring to a boil.
- Add lady’s finger, tomatoes and eggplant, then stir well.
Step 3 - Finish sambar
- Gently stir the pot of lentils, lightly breaking up the lentils.
- Ladle lentils into vegetable stew, andstir well to combine.
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Let's plate and serve!
Remove from heat and serve hot!