Steamed rice with fragrant sauteed chicken wrapped in banana leaves for a aromatic touch. A popular Filipino delicacy that will surely entice your guest!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Cook rice
- In a pot on high heat, add 4 ½ cups water with rinsed rice. Bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to low heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes until rice has fully absorbed water. Set aside to cool.
Step 2 - Boil and shred chicken breast
- In a pot of boiling water, boil chicken breast for 10 to 15 minutes until fully cooked. Once cooked, remove from water and shred chicken breasts with 2 forks.
Step 3 - Fry aromatics
- In a pan on medium heat, heat 3 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry yellow onions, garlic, and ginger for 3 to 4 minutes, until onions appear slightly translucent.
Step 4 - Add shredded chicken breast and seasoning
- In the same pan, add shredded chicken, 3 Tbsp light soy sauce and 3 Tbsp fish sauce. Stir-fry for 5 minutes, until chicken takes on color. Set aside.
Step 5- Wrap chicken pastil
- On a flat working surface, lay out a piece of banana leaf and place 1 cup cooked rice in the middle of the leaf. Place 2 Tbsp sauteed chicken in a line, down the middle of the cooked rice.
Fold in the sides of the leaf over the filling, followed by the edge closest to you and the other end like a parcel.If you want to add more flavor to the rice, add in 1 knotted pandan leaf in step 1 with the rice and water
Plate and serve!
Place chicken pastil on serving dish and serve hot.