Typically described as a ‘quick bread’, scones are the perfect base for a delicious jam and whipped or clotted cream!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Mix dry ingredients and preheat oven
- In a food processor, blend flour and butter until fine and well incorporated.
- In a large bowl, mix blended ingredients with 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp salt. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
Step 2 - Mix milk into dry ingredients and make egg wash
- In the same large bowl, mix 300 ml full cream milk into the dry ingredients until it starts to form a dough. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, 2 Tbsp full cream milk and 1 Tbsp honey until well mixed. Set aside.
Step 3 - Roll and cut dough
- After dough has set, use floured hands and place dough on parchment paper. Do not knead the dough.
- Roll out dough about 2 inches in thickness and lightly flour the surface of the dough.
- Using a 3 inch round cutter, cut as many scones from the dough.
Step 4 - Brush scones with egg wash and bake
- Place scones on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and lightly brush surface of the scones with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Let's plate and serve!
Once cooked, remove from oven and place scones onto serving plate or dish. Serve hot with jam and whipped cream on the side.