Sesame Ikan Bakar
with Szechuan Pepper Oil
A classic Malaysian dish, Ikan Bakar translates to grilled fish and is incredibly versatile. Here’s a spicy fusion take on this dish, baked with sesame oil and Szechuan peppers.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Score and marinate fish
- With a sharp knife, score the fish by making 3 slits on each side and place fish on a baking tray. Rub 2 Tbsp sesame oil and 2 Tbsp salt in to the fish, especially into the cut. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
Step 2 - Blend and fry spice paste
- In a blender, add dried chili, shallots, garlic, 1 Tbsp Szechuan pepper, belacan, sliced ginger, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 ½ Tbsp salt and blend until it forms a smooth paste. If mixture is too dry, you can use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency
- In a pan on medium heat, add spice paste and fry for at least 20 minutes, until much darker in colour and oil has separated from the paste.
Step 3 - Bake fish and serve
- Coat fish with spice paste, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 180°C.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with 1 Tbsp Szechuan pepper oil.
Let's plate and serve!
Serve hot with a slice of lime.