Spicy Grilled Tilapia
with Potato Gnocchi
Perfectly cooked and seasoned fish over a bed of soft, pillowy potato gnocchi!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Preheat oven for potatoes and blend curry paste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a blender, blend 4 cloves garlic, ginger, fish curry paste, 1 tsp chili powder and coriander roots until it becomes a paste. If needed, add vegetable oil to help achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 2 - Marinate fish
- Using your hands or a spoon, place fish fillets onto baking tray and spread the paste evenly over fish fillets. Let it marinate for 15 mins.
Step 3 - Prepare the gnocchi and adjust oven temperature
- Wash and clean 2 russet potatoes. With a fork or knife, poke some holes before baking in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- When cooked, remove skin and mash potato with a fork or potato masher or potato ricer. Set aside to allow all the steam evaporate.
Place 2 cloves minced garlic, plain flour, rice flour, 2 egg yolks and 3 Tbsp melted butter into a mixer.
Mix until well combined. Add a little more plain flour, if necessary.
Dough should come off the bowl without sticking. Remove from bowl and continue to kneed for about 3 to 4 minutes. The dough should be firm, but slightly sticky for best results.
Increase oven temperature to 200°C.
Step 4 - Shape gnocchi
- Roll them into a sausage shape, and use a knife to cut them into 1 inch pillows. Using a fork, roll the gnocchi down the fork to achieve the stripes.
Step 5- Cook gnocchi and place fish in oven
- Add salt to a boiling pot of water, the gnocchi will take 2 - 3 mins tocook, once cooked they will float.
- Remove from pot and place cooked gnocchi in ice water. Set aside.
- Grill marinated fish in the oven at 200°C for about 7 to 9 minutes depending on the size of the fillet.
Step 6- Fry gnocchi
- In a pan on low to medium heat, add in 2 Tbsp butter and thyme until butter browns.
- Add in the cooked gnocchi, sear them until they form a nice brown crust.
- Add in 1 Tbsp pasta water. Season with salt and black pepper.
Let's plate and serve!
Serve grilled fish on a bed of gnocchi and garnish with black pepper.