Spicy Red Chicken
Full of punchy Southeast Asian flavors!
Spice up your life with this fiery chicken dish, full of punchy Southeast Asian flavors!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend and fry rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, add shallots, garlic, ginger, 1 lemongrass, dried chili and blend until smooth. If mixture is not blending well, use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth paste.
- In a large pan on low heat, fry the spice paste until fragrant, for about 10 minutes.
Step 2 - Stir-fry chicken
- In the same pan, add chicken and stir-fry on medium heat for 1 minute.
Replace chicken with pork or beef for some variety
Step 3 - Stir-fry spices
- Add cinnamon, sticks, pandan leaves, 3 lemongrass, cloves and cardamom and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, raisins, honey and water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Season with lime juice and salt, then remove from heat.
Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the dish and garnish with the mint sprig, and serve with steamed fragrant rice.