Three Alarm Chili Crab
Awake your senses with our Three Alarm Chili Crab. It packs a spicy punch and is guaranteed excite your taste buds!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Separate crab
- Pull off the top shell in one piece and set aside.
- Remove and discard the gills and spongy parts under the shell.
- Twist off the claws and cut body into half. Use live crab for a sweeter taste
Step 2 - Boil crab
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Immerse the crab and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain and cool quickly with cold running water. Set aside. Cooling the crab with cold running water prevents the crab from overcooking.
Step 3 - Make sauce
- In a small bowl, combine tomato ketchup, sweet chili sauce, 2 Tbsp fish sauce, coriander stems and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil until well combined. Set aside.
Step 4 - Stir-fry chilies
- In a pan on high heat, heat up 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Stir-fry dried red chili and chili padi for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Step 5 - Stir-fry crab
- Add the crab pieces,minced garlic and sliced ginger.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute.
Step 6 - Add sauce to crab and remove crab pieces
- Add chicken broth and sauce.
- Mix well and cover with lid.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the crab is cooked through and the crab shells are bright red.
- Remove crab pieces from pan and set aside.
Step 7 - Make egg ribbons
- In a small bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs.
- Gently drizzle in the eggs around the sauce.
- Do not stir sauce to allow egg ribbons to form.
Step 8 - Add crab pieces back with herbs
- When the eggs are cooked, add crab pieces back into the pan with 1 sliced spring onion and half of the coriander leaves.
- Mix well until crabs are nicely glazed with sauce.
Garnish and Serve!
Arrange the crab legs and body pieces on a platter. Set the top shell, 1 sliced spring onion, Thai basil leaves and other half of coriander leaves on top as a garnish. Serve hot.