Spring Onion Pancake
Indulge yourself with crispy Chinese pancake filled with fragrant spring onions. It’s going to leave you begging for more!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make dough
- In a mixing bowl, sift plain flour and mix in warm water.
- Mix until well combined.
Step 2 - Knead dough
- On a working surface, place dough over a generously floured work-top and start kneading.
- The dough will be very sticky in the beginning but as you knead while lightly flouring it, it will become less sticky.
- Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and slightly springy.
- Cover dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Step 3 - Cut dough
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- On a lightly floured working surface, use a rolling pin to roll out one part until ½ cm in thickness. You're aiming for a dough that is soft and slightly sticky, so don't over flour or you'll risk having a tough and hard pancake!
Step 4 - Season dough
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with oil.
- Sprinkle a small pinch of salt, a small pinch of white pepper and 1 Tbsp spring onion on the dough.
Step 5 - Make spring onion pancake
- Roll up the dough tightly, creating one long snake of rolled-up dough.
- Gently pull both ends and lengthen the dough without tearing.
Step 6 - Flatten spring onion pancake
- Proceed to roll the "sausage" into a pinwheel, like a cinnamon bun.
- Flatten and roll out the "pinwheel" into a pancake with ½ cm thickness.
Step 7 - Cook spring onion pancake
- In a pan on medium-high heat, heat up 3 Tbsp vegetable oil and gently place pancakes in the pan and fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, mix 6 Tbsp vegetable oil with 1 Tbsp salt and brush onto both sides of pancake.
- Let it fry for another 1 to 2 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Drain fried pancake onto a paper towel-lined plate. Spring onion pancake is a popular street food in China and Taiwan, and is sometimes enjoyed with an egg fried on top of it, and brushed with a sweet soy-based sauce!
Plate and serve!
Slice pancake into 8 slices. In a small dish, add sliced ginger and black vinegar. Place spring onion pancake slices onto serving plate with black vinegar sauce on the side. Serve hot.