Known as ‘steamed water egg’ in Hong Kong, this classic Chinese dish with prawns and black fungus is a soft, silky comfort food.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Mix egg
- In a bowl, beat together all the eggs and extra egg whites from the 3 separated egg yolks.
- Set aside. Whisking the egg will result in a lovely, airy texture for your steamed egg.
Step 2 - Mix egg batter
- In a large bowl, add in fungus, bean thread noodles, shallots, coriander, prawns and half the goji berries and mix well.
- Then slowly fold in the eggs into prawn mixture with a spatula.
- Add in ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp white pepper, 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and 1 Tbsp soy sauce 2 Tbsp water.
- Mix well.
Step 3 - Steamed eggs
- Pour into a heatproof dish and carefully place the 3 yolks and 3 prawns on top of the eggs. Then sprinkle remaining goji berries.
- Steamed for 30 minutes.
Garnish and serve!
Remove egg from steamer. Spoon out the spring onion oil over the steamed eggs. Garnish with red chili, 1 tsp chopped peanuts and spring onions.