in White Wine Sauce
Elevate your typical steamed fish with a white wine sauce. It is bound to keep you hooked!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make filling and blanch spring onions and snow peas
In a bowl, combine shiitake mushrooms, picnic ham, bamboo shoots and red bell peppers. Set aside.To prepare the dried shiitake mushrooms, soak mushrooms in enough warm water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain and cut off stems. Thinly slice caps and discard stems.
Blanch 2 spring onions in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, until pliable.
Drain and set aside.
Blanch snow peas in a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, until tender-crisp.
Rinse under cold running water, drain and set aside.
Step 2 - Slice and season fish
- Cut fish horizontally and vertically in half.
- You should end up with 4 thin slices of fish.
- Season with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp white pepper. You can use any white fish fillets of your choice (red snapper, cod, carp, or sole).
Step 3 - Whisk egg whites and cornstarch
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk 2 egg whites and 1 tsp cornstarch until well combined.
Step 4 - Fill and roll fish slices
- Dip each slice of fish into egg white mixture.
- Place 1 tsp filling in center of each fish slice and roll it up.
- Tie the fish bundle up with one of the spring onion leaves.
- Place in a dish and repeat with remaining fish, filling and spring onions.
Step 5 - Steaming fish rolls
- In a steamer, steam the fish rolls for 6 to 8 minutes until fish turns opaque.
Step 6 - Make sauce
- In a small pot on high heat, boil chicken broth, white wine, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp fish sauce, ½ tsp crushed ginger and ½ tsp white pepper until well combined. You can use any type of white wine for this recipe.
Step 7 - Thicken sauce
- Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 2 Tbsp water in a cup before pouring into the pan.
- Stir until sauce thickens.
Garnish and Serve!
Arrange snow peas on serving plate and arrange fish rolls over. Pour sauce over fish and garnish with 1 chopped spring onions and large red chili slices. Serve hot.