Steamed Herbal Chicken
The tender and moist chicken meat infused with a wonderful herbal aroma is great for nourishing your body!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1- Marinate chicken
- Clean chicken.
- Marinate with ½ tsp sugar, ½ tsp white pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce, ½ tsp salt and 2 slices old ginger for at least 20 minutes.
Step 2 - Fry herbs
- Add 1 tsp sesame oil to hot wok and fry ginger until it turns golden.
- Add yu zhu, dang gui, red dates, dried longan, and wolfberries along with 2 Tbsp hot water and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the wok. According to traditional Chinese medicine beliefs, this dish is great for boosting energy due to the use of yu zhu and dang gui, where the former is good for stomach discomfort and “dryness”, and the latter for regulating blood.
Step 3 - Steam chicken and herbs
- On a sheet of aluminium foil or large baking sheet, place chicken inside, adding the herbs and Chinese cooking wine to it. Fold the ends of the foil or sheet together to seal it and create a parcel.
- Steam the chicken parcel for 1 to 1½ hours. For more flavor, add herbs into the water.
Steaming is one of the healthiest ways to cook food because no additional fat is used.
Plate and Serve!