Steamed Sea Bass
with Lemongrass and Ginger
Spice up your cooking with this flavorsome Asian steamed fish dish, perfect for sharing with family and friends!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Scoring fish
- Wash the sea bass inside and out, and pat dry.
- Score across the fish and through the skin 4-5 times on each side and place onto steaming tray.
Step 2 - Making the sauce
- In a mortar, smash diagonally cut lemongrass, chili padi, garlic, 2 Tbsp ginger, 1 tsp honey, 1 juiced lime and 1 Tbsp vegetable oil with a pestle until everything is bruised.
Step 3 - Season and steam the fish with sauce
- Season the fish inside and out. Scrape out half the pounded mixture over the fish, add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and rub everything in, making sure you push some into the cuts.
- Cut the second lime into quarters and push two pieces with kaffir lime leaves into the cavity along with the remainder of the pounded mixture.
- Squeeze the juice from the last two lime quarters over the fish and steam the fish for 20 to 25 minutes until fully cooked. A perfectly steamed fish should not be dry and flaky.
Garnish and Serve!
Transfer dish onto serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.