Sweet and Sour Chicken
A classic Cantonese chicken dish complemented with caramelized pineapples, savor this quick recipe that’s sure to please
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make sweet and sour sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together tomato paste, ketchup, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce, 2 Tbsp plum sauce, 2 - 3 tsp vinegar, garlic, 1 Tbsp honey, ginger, ½ tsp white pepper, 1 ½ tsp cornstarch and 100 ml water to make the sweet and sour sauce.
- Set sauce aside.
Step 2 - Cook pineapples
- In a pan on medium heat, add 3 Tbsp brown sugar.
- When it starts to melt, add pineapple chunks.
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds and mix well. Remove pineapples and set aside.
- Add sweet and sour sauce into the pan and mix well for 1 minute.
- When slightly reduced, remove and set aside.
Step 3 - Coat and deep-fry chicken
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour and tapioca flour.
- Mix well, then add cubed chicken. Mix well to coat evenly.
- In a pot on high heat half filled with vegetable oil, deep-fry pork.
- When light brown, remove the cooked pieces and set aside on a paper towel to drain.
Step 4 - Cook sweet and sour chicken
- In a pan on high heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil from frying the chicken.
- When hot, add onion and red bell peppers and stir-fry for a minute.
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cook until thickened, for less than 1 minute, then toss the pineapples and fried pork back in.
- Stir well and mix evenly.
- Add the spring onions, and immediately take it off the heat once they start to wilt.
Let's plate and serve!