Japanese Rolled Omelette
Tamagoyaki’ in Japanese means ‘grilled egg’, and is a sweet and fluffy Japanese rolled omelette!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make egg mixture
- In a bowl, mix 2 Tbsp full cream milk, 1 tsp dashi powder, mirin, light soy sauce, white sugar, 40 ml water and 12 eggs until well combined.
Step 2 - Cook tamagoyaki
- In a pan on low heat, heat up 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Use a paper towel to spread and soak up excess oil.
- Once pn is hot, pour enough egg mixture to fill the surface of the pan and let the bottom of the egg cook.
- Tilt the pan away from you and use a spatula to fold over itself 3 to 4 times.
- Let it cook for 1 minute.
Step 3 - Create more layers for tamagoyaki
- Push the egg close to the handle of the pan and pour in more egg mixture to fill the surface of the pan.
- Tilt the pan away from you again and use a spatula tofold over itself 3 to 4 times.
- Let it cook for 1 minute and remove from pan.
- Repeat with remaining egg mixture.
If you have a Japanese rectangular omelette pan (makiyakinabe) at home, it would make the process easier
Plate and serve!
Slice tamagoyaki into even slices and transfer onto serving plate or dish. Serve hot or chilled.