For seafood lovers out there, here’s a quick and easy recipe for mouthwatering tamarind prawns with a peppery kick!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Prepare tamarind water
- Dissolve the tamarind pulp in 150 ml warm water for 5 minutes.
- Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and set tamarind water aside.
Step 2 - Fry lemongrass and garlic
- Heat 5 Tbsp vegetable oil in large pan over high heat.
- Add bruised lemongrass and stir fry for 30 seconds to release the flavor.
- Add chopped garlic and stir fry. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Step 3 - Cook the tamarind sauce
- In the same pan, add 100 ml water, the tamarind water, 4 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp fish sauce.
- Season to taste with additional sugar if needed. Stir well.
Step 4 - Cook the prawns
Add the prawns to the wok, tossing until the prawns are red.
Toss in the spring onions and stir well.Tiger prawns may be substituted with other types of prawns.
When the prawns are almost cooked, remove from heat and stir in the black pepper and white pepper.Do not overcook prawns, as it can result in a bitter taste from the ammonia present in prawn heads
Plate and serve!
Garnish with coriander leaves, and serve alongside white rice