Thai Crab Cakes
Devour this savoury Thai pancakes filled with crab meat, prawns and chicken, dipped in a sweet plum sauce. Perfection on a plate!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Chop the prawns and chicken
- Finely chop prawns and chicken thigh together. Add finely sliced spring onions and chop until well incorporated. Set it aside.
Step 2 - Grind coriander roots, garlic, peppercorns and salt
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind coriander roots, garlic, white peppercorns and ½ tsp salt into the paste.
- Set aside.
Step 3 - Make meat paste
- In a bowl, mix together the grounded paste, ½ tsp light soy sauce and 2 tsp cornstarch.
- Then add to the prawn and chicken paste.
- Mix until well combined.
Step 4 - Make crab meat paste
- Toss in shredded crab meat to paste and gently mix well.
Step 5 - Make the crab cake patty
Divide the mixture into two parts, spread a thin layer of the crab cake paste evenly onto a piece of spring roll pastry.You can use a spoon or a spatula to assist you in spreading a thin layer of crab cake paste over the spring roll pastry.
Garnish coriander leaves on top and cover with another piece of spring roll pastry.
Repeat the same process with another one.
Step 6 - Heat up oil for frying
- In a pan on high heat, heat up ½ cup vegetable oil.
- When oil is hot enough (about 160°C), fry the pancakes one at a time, for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Drain excess oil on paper towel-lined plate. Best eaten with a refreshing Thai papaya salad to cut through oiliness of this dish.
Plate and Serve!
Serve with dipping sauce. Cut the pancakes into wedges or rectangles and serve hot with sweet plum sauce on the side.