Thai Fish Cakes
Bite into this chewy Thai fish cake goodness, paired with a refreshing cucumber salad!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Cook vinegar mixture
- Pour white vinegar, ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp salt into a small pot.
- Boil the mixture.
- Set it aside to let it cool at room temperature for later use.
Step 2 - Skin the fish
- Using a spoon, scrape the flesh of the mackerel fillet from the skin. You should be left with chunks of fish. You can get mackerel fillet with skin off instead of skin on, to skip step 2.
Step 3 - Make fish paste
- Put mackerel chunks, red curry paste, young ginger, thai basil, ½ tsp sugar, egg and chili paste into the food processor.
- Blend until it turns into a paste and transfer it to a bowl.
Step 4 - Add long beans to fish paste
- Add finely sliced long beans into the fish paste and mix thoroughly.
Step 5 - Mould the fish cakes
- Wet your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Scoop out the mixture of around 1 heaped tablespoon from the mixing bowl onto your palm.
- Place a fish ball in the middle of the fish cake mixture. Roll with the palm of your hands into a round shape and repeat.
Step 6 - Deep-fry fish cake
- In a pot, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying. When oil is hot enough (about 160°C),deep fry the fish cake for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop them and drain it on a paper towel-lined plate. Leave it aside to cool for about 1 minute. You can test if the oil is hot enough by putting in a basil leave. If it is sizzling when placed it, it is hot enough
Step 7 - Make cucumber salad
- In a small bowl, mix sliced local cucumber, 1 sliced large red chili and the vinegar mixture.
- If you like, you may add 1 Tbsp chopped roasted peanuts. You can pair the Thai fish cakes with sweet thai chili.
Plate and Serve!
Cut up the fish cakes or whole and serve with cucumber salad on the side.