Crispy Firm Tofu with Bok Choy
A popular Chinese dish from the Sichuan province, this is the perfect vegan dish for your table.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Slice and blanch baby bok choy
- Slice the baby bok choy in half lengthwise and blanch in a pot of boiling water for 40 seconds. Remove and rinse with iced water, then drain. Rinsing the bok choy in cold water stops the cooking process, and will help retain the bright green color.
- In a mixing bowl, add drained bok choy, ½ tsp sesame oil and ½ tsp soy sauce. Toss well to mix, then set aside.
Step 2 - Fry garlic
- In a pan on high heat, fry the garlic in the cooking oil until golden brown. Strain out garlic from the oil and set aside but keep the oil.
Step 3 - Cook tau kwa
- In a mixing bowl, add spring onions, chilies, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp five-spice powder and ½ tsp white pepper. Mix well, then add tau kwa and toss well.
- Add in the tau kwa to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. For the tau kwa, look for packets labeled “for frying”. This ensures that your tofu won’t fall apart much when frying.
Garnish and serve
To serve, arrange the baby bok choy around a plate, then place the tau kwa in the center. Garnish with fried garlic over the tau kwa.