Firm Tofu in Tomato Sauce
Deep fried tofu that is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, smothered in fragrant tomato sauce.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Deep-fry tau kwa
- In a pot on high heat, heat up enough oil to deep fry tau kwa.
- Deep-fry cubed tau kwa for 1 minute or until golden brown. You can replace tofu with meat or vegetables
Step 2 - Make tomato sauce
- In a pan, heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry the minced garlic until fragrant. Then add diced tomatoes, 1 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp fish sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes on medium high heat until the tomatoes releases liquid.
Step 3 - Add tau kwa
- Toss in the tau kwa and 1 stalk of finely sliced spring onions and stir well to coat the tau kwa with the sauce.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat, until the sauce thickens or is absorbed by the tau kwa. Tau kwa has a low moisture content and is often used for soups and stir-frys. It is high in protein and low in fat
Plate and serve!
Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle chopped onion, pepper or chilli pepper on top.