Also known as ‘medu vada’, these savory Indian fried savory “donuts” are a popular street food. Crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle, these are truly a treat!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend rice
- In a food processor, add drained rice and blend into a paste.
Step 2 - Form vadai with paste
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice paste, chopped shallots, minced ginger, curry leaves, chopped coriander, 2 tsp rice flour, green chili, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix well.
- With wet hands, juggle into a ball and flatten lightly, then push a hole through the middle using your thumb.
Step 3 - Deep-fry vadai and serve
- In a pot on medium heat half-filled with hot vegetable oil, deep-fry the vadai for 8-10 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Leave to drain on paper towels.
Let's plate and serve!