Veggie Soba Noodles in Homemade Dashi
Craving for some Japanese cuisine? Here’s how to have a little piece of Japan right in your own home –great for vegetarian friends as well!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Prepare the ingredients
- Slice shiitake mushrooms and chop 2 spring onion stalks.
- Boil eggs for 5 minutes 30 seconds and remove shells once done. Set aside ingredients.
Step 2 - Make dashi stock
- In a pot on medium heat, pour 4 cups and add drained kombu.
- Let simmer until tiny bubbles form on the kombu without letting the water boil.
- Turn heat down to low and add bonito flakes. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3 - Strain and season dashi stock
- After simmering, use a strainer to strain bonito flakes and kombu.
- Add mirin and 2 Tbsp soy sauce to dashi stock.
- Increase to medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.
Step 4 - Blanch mushrooms and spinach
- To the same pot, boil shiitake mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pot, slice and set aside.
Step 5 - Blanch soba noodles
- In a separate pot, boil enough water for cooking noodles.
- Once boiling, cook soba noodles according to packet instructions.
- When noodles are cooked, remove from pot and rinse under cold water. Set aside
Rinsing the noodles under cold water stops the cooking process and removes excess starch.
Plate and Serve!
Transfer rinsed soba noodles to the hot dashi broth to warm the noodles through, then pour both noodles and broth into a bowl. Place mushrooms and egg on top. garnish with spring onions, seaweed and sesame seeds.