Vietnamese Grilled Chicken Salad
This juicy, Vietnamese-inspired chicken dish, accompanied by crunchy vegetables, will be a hit with your friends and family.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Toast and blend glutinous rice
- In a pan over low heat, toast the glutinous rice until medium brown, then set aside to cool.
- Once it cools completely, blend into a powder then put aside
Step 2 - Blend, mold and sear satay
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken, chicken fat, ½ Tbsp chili powder, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp tapioca flour, ½ Tbsp paprika powder, ½ tsp salt and blended glutinous rice powder then mix well to combine.
- In a blender, blend the chicken mixture, then rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set the meat.
- To make the satay, mold the meat mixture onto a skewer.
- Using your hands, shape the meat into a long cylinder shape.
- Repeat the same steps until all mixture is used up.
- Using the same pan as before, or on a grill, heat up 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and sear until the meat becomes firm. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the vermicelli for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. Drain then set aside.
- To make the salad dressing, in a bowl, stir 2 Tbsp sugar, ½ cup water, and 3 Tbsp lime juice together until the sugar dissolves.
- Add 2½ Tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce, 1 clove minced garlic and sliced chili padi and mix well. Set aside.
For the dressing itself, you can customize it according to your preference -more chili padi for more heat; Vietnamese fish sauce for saltiness and sugar for sweetness.
Step 3 - Prepare salad ingredients
- Shred the cucumber, carrot, lettuce and purple cabbage separately.
- Chop the purple onion and slice the tomato. Set aside.