Vietnamese Fish Cakes
Tender fish cakes with a little taste of Hanoi, perfect for a quick and easy snack!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Form fish cake patties
- In a food processor, blend fish, 1 minced garlic clove, spring onions, ¼ tsp vegetable oil, ¼ tsp sesame oil, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp salt and 1 Tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce until it forms a paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- With wet hands, take 1 to 2 Tbsp fish paste and roll it into a ball. Flatten fish paste ball into patty shapes about 4 cm in diameter.
You can use a blender instead of a food processor if you do not have one at home
Step 2 - Shallow fry fish cake patties
- In a pan, heat up enough oil for a shallow fry. Gently place 3 to 4 patties into the pan at a time. Let it shallow fry for 4 to 5 minutes before flipping it over to fry for another 2 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove fried fish cakes from pan and drain excess oil on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all fish cake patties are fried.
For a healthier option, you can either steam or boil the fish cake patties instead of frying
Step 3 - Make dipping sauce
- In a bowl, mix ½ cup water, ¼ cup rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar, sliced large red chili, sliced chili padi, 2 minced garlic cloves, lime juice and ¼ cup Vietnamese fish sauce until sugar is dissolved.
Plate and serve!
Place fried fish cakes on serving plate. Serve hot with sliced cucumbers and dipping sauce on the side.