The Chinese have their tang yuan, but the Indonesians have their own delicious, colorful version – Javanese glutinous rice balls
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend stuffing
- In a blender, add peanuts, 25 g sugar and â tsp salt. Blend for 20 seconds then set aside.
Step 2 - Make ronde dough
- To create the ronde dough, mix glutinous rice flour and ¼ tsp salt. Gradually add 135 ml warm water, kneading the water into the dough (you may not have to use all the water) until it just comes together and isn’t crumbly any more.
Step 3 - Divide dough and add food coloring
- Divide the dough into 3 parts. Add red food coloring to one portion and green food coloring to another and knead the color in. Leave one dough white.
Step 4 - Stuff and boil ronde
- Peel off about 1 Tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball, make an indent and add ½ Tbsp of ronde stuffing. Pinch the sides closed, then roll the ronde, sealing it. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- In a pot of boiling water, add ronde and allow it to boil for 5-6 minutes. The ronde is cooked when they float.
Step 5 - Boil ginger syrup
- In a pot, boil water mixed with 400 g sugar, ginger, pandan leaves, lemongrass using low heat for 20 minutes or more. Set aside.
Plate and serve!
Serve ronde hot, with ginger syrup, sago and palm seeds.